Monday, February 17, 2014

Blessed

Since starting this adoption I have been pretty hesitant at telling people about this whole thing. It’s not exactly the fact that I don’t know how people will respond but really because it is an intimate part of Riley and I’s life. Anyone who knows me pretty well will tell you that I am pretty afraid of anything that is intimate or emotional. I have no idea what to do when people cry or are going through a tough time. I guess I’m just a little awkward sometimes.
Having to tell people about something that is a big part of my life is a growing process. Adoption initiates many personal questions. This is not a bad thing; in fact I think it’s a good thing. I like to see people curious about something where the specifics are not widely known.
            The crazy thing is the more I told people, the more support I received. I am blown away with how people are genuinely caring and supportive.  We have had some wonderful support, emotionally, spiritually and financially.  We have had support from so many different people and places we that we never expected. It has been very encouraging to see how the Lord has provided for us by making our story resonate in the heart’s of others.
            That being said, here is a big update on this Alderton adventure. Riley and I saw a beautiful little 5 year old boy on a waiting children’s list back in September. The moment I saw him I knew.  I never thought I would adopt and when I decided to, I always imagined adopting an infant. I never thought I would adopt an older child. However, looking back it seems funny to me that anyone, myself included, would think of a 5 year old as too old to join their family. Thank God he understands family better than we do. That said, Riley and I have been working to adopt this little boy for a couple months and just got his official referral.
            Even though Riley and I are very new to this process and adoption in general, I am learning more and more about adoption through this process. I feel as if it has changed us both. We have grown and become such better people through this journey! Adoption has truly changed us and I am so glad to go through this process and grow and become a better person.
            Overall I would definitely say my life is very different than what I had originally thought it would be, but in that same breath, it is so much better than I would have ever imagined. I am grateful that plans don’t work out how we want them to and that God knows what he is doing in all circumstances.

            Lastly, I would like to say thank you to everyone who has helped us get to the point we are at. God is so good in that he will often move people to a cause. We have seen this in our adoption and can’t express how grateful we are to everyone for your support and love thus far. We are excited to bring our son home to a community where he is already so loved and cared for.


This was our scenery when we got our referral call!



1 comment:

  1. Our charity organization is helping orphans in Ukraine. In case you are interested, I am leaving a link here https://hopenowusa.org
    Sorry, for my commenting here.

    ReplyDelete